A resident of Athens since 1981, I live at 3 Mary Street on the west side, where I have owned my home since1983.
I have served as mayor since 2008. Previously I served two terms on City Council as First Ward Representative (2004-05 and 2006-07) and prior to that was a member and then chair of the Athens Zoning Board of Appeals (1996-2002). I am also former co-chair and still member of the Athens Westside Community Association.
While on Council, I served on the City Services Committee, chaired the Transportation Committee, and later chaired the Environment Committee and was member of the Finance and Personnel Committee and Transportation Committee. Prior to serving on Council, I attended City Council meetings weekly over a period of ten years, developing the knowledge base and commitment to the city that have been key to my success as mayor.
From 1981 to 2008, I was employed at Ohio University as Molecular Biology Laboratory Assistant in the College of Osteopathic Medicine and other colleges and science departments. I have a Bachelors of Science from Marietta College (1979). A native New Yorker, I came to Ohio to college, fell in love with the area, and have made it my home ever since.
In the little leisure time that I can spare, I am a hobby apiarist and beekeeper, an avid reader of science fiction and enjoy biking and hiking in Athens County.
B.S., Chemistry, Marietta College, 1979
• Mayor, City of Athens (2008-present)
• Board member, Community Improvement Corporation (2008-present)
• Treasurer, Mayors’ Partnership for Progress (2008-present)
• Vice-president, Athens County Economic Development Council (2008-present)
• Executive board member, Athens Foundation (2008-present)
• Athens City Council Member, First Ward (2004-2008)
• Secretary, Athens Westside Community Association (2004-2008)
• Chair, Athens Zoning Board of Appeals (1997-2002)
• Member, Athens Zoning Board of Appeals (1996-2002)
• Co-Chair, Athens Westside Community Association (1999-2004)
• Member, Athens 2020 Comprehensive Plan Steering Committee (2001-2005)
• Molecular Biology Laboratory Assistant, Ohio University (1981-2008)